Saturday, January 6, 2007

The 26th Annual Hangover Classic

I love running the Winner's Circle Running Club's Hangover Classic 10K every January 1st. It's a very satifsying way to start a new year, even if getting out of bed to go run 6 miles on New Year's Day isn't easy.

This year was a clear indication of how a little weather will thin out the crowd - if perhaps only to the truly insane - or dedicated? In 2005 we had blue skies and 40 degree F temperatures, and there were 347 finishers in the 10K. In 2006 it was in the 30s, but it had snowed a little the day before (traction was lacking in the first mile of snow and slush), and the result was 299 10K finishers. This year we had temps in the 40s again, but a steady rain! You guessed it -- just 234 finishers.

The rain wasn't so bad. The worst part really was the flooded road just 100 yards from the start line. There were 2 to 3 inches of water from one side of the road to the other. The shock wasn't so much getting our feet wet, but how COLD the water felt.

Nevertheless, I'm quite happy with my race. I finished in 43:25 (6:59 average pace). I was the 45th finisher overall, and 16th out of 66 in my age division.

No comments: